La Mode + Up

Like calling yourself the skinniest person on The Biggest Loser

Camilla

Robina Town Centre has had a renovation complete with a new cinema complex. In their own words this is supposed to be “the best Birch Carroll and Coyle cinemas in Australia.” I have a few problems with this alleged truth. Firstly, if it truly is “the best Birch Carroll and Coyle cinemas in Australia” why would they choose to have it in the cultural vacuum that is the Gold Coast? And secondly, can they honestly say this BCC Cinema trumps those in Sydney and Melbourne? Even Brisbane? I decided to check it out for myself last night and I would argue they would be lucky to be the best cinemas on the Gold Coast let alone Australia. Sure, there’s a whole two cinemas dedicated to 3D so thankfully locals such as myself can see 3D movies on the Gold Coast without having to travel to Brisbane.

And sure, there’s a one VMax cinema for maximum sound, maximum seat comfort etc etc and sure, the candy bar workers wear cute little red and white-stripped outfits. However, let me clarify this now. Although I haven’t been to them all, the new Robina cinemas are not the best BCC in Australia. They’re not even the best on the Gold Coast, probably equal with Harbour Town cinemas. That said, I’m so so so grateful there will be somewhere local I can watch Pixar’s Up in 3D this month. This is not to mention the plethora of other 3D movies to be released which I will be able to watch and enjoy with this technology. For example, last night I managed to catch Dreamworks’ Monsters Vs Aliens in 3D.

Yes, I realise this film stopped playing about two weeks ago in most pockets of Australia, but since the Gold Coast has a 3D cinema they figured now is as good a time as any to play it (along with Journey to the Centre of the Earth 3D). Boy am I glad I waited to see that movie in 3D. I popped my 3D cherry earlier this year with My Bloody Valentine 3D and unlike that movie, Monsters Vs Aliens sputtered out pretty early on. The technology and animation was brilliant throughout the movie but the comedy and clever genre references ran out after the first 20 minutes which is a shame. Sorry Dreamworks, Pixar still holds the ace.