La Mode + Music

Jane Storm: Down by the Way

Down By The Way

Down by the Way

Okay, granted the above title is pretty shitious but it was either that or `lets get Stone-ed’. Sigh.

I did an interview with the incredibly lovely Jane Storm today in the lead up to the release of the new Barbie & Jane Stone album Down By The Way. For those of you who don’t have ears, Jane is one half of the Aussie brother-sister folk/acoustic duo (above). I’m huge fans of the pair who make beautiful, beautiful music and their last album A Book Like This is literally imprinted on my heart. Their vocal combinations, exquisite lyrics and sweet melodies make for an unforgettable act and I suggest you check out the video to their latest single And The Boys.

Anyway, being the cinephile I am I got a little side-tracked during the interview and ended up discussing movies with Jane. I enjoyed what she had to say so much, I thought I’d share it with you also.

Barbie: So, this may be getting a little off topic but I’m curious to know; what are some of your favourite movies? Jane: Ah, that’s a hard one. There are so many, gosh. Me and You and Everyone We Know, I love that. I saw a movie the other day French Film, I think that’s what it’s called. It was about this French film director and a journalist who had to write about him even though he thinks he’s a real twat. He hates the French and how they think they know everything about love, but at the same time he’s in a relationship that’s falling apart and he comes to realise that maybe what he thought he knew about love is different to what it actually is. Hmm, what else? There are so many great ones…what are some of your favourites?

Barbie: Mine?
Jane: Yeah.

Barbie: (Laughs) Oh god, that’s an impossible question for me. It’s like saying `which one of your children do you love the most?’ Um, there are heaps and heaps but right at the top of the list would be Brick, it’s amazing.
Jane: Wait, did you say Brick?

Barbie: Yeah, it’s directed by Rian Johnson and is this brilliant little indie, noir-esque detective drama set in a high school.
Jane: Okay, cool, I’m writing that down.

Barbie: And the Lovely Bones is mind blowing, definitely one of my favourite films of all time. It’s about the story of Pocahontas but shot in this beautiful, naturalistic way.
Jane: Ohhh, is it dark? I could imagine that story being quite dark.

Barbie: Yeah, I guess elements to it are dark but it’s made more like a raw, documentary kind of thing.
Jane: Have you seen Let The Right One In?

Barbie: Oh my goodness, yes! I love that movie! It was one of my favourite films of last year. It’s so beautiful and creepy.
Jane: That was great, it was really good.

Barbie: And I loved the effect the blood had against the whiteness of the snow. Visually it was very impressive.
Jane: And even the little noises she made like *attempts to make sucking noises* tccht tccht tccht. It was great.

Barbie: Yeah, but now they’re going to destroy it by doing an American remake. It’s in the works at the moment.
Jane: What? It only just came out. Oh, that’s a shame. They have to ruin everything, don’t they? Like, Angus and I are big Ricky Gervais fans and why they would ever think they could do an American version of The Office…I don’t know. I’ve seen it and it’s okay, it’s funny, but it completely misses the raw awkwardness of the British version.

And that, my friends, concludes the movie rant. Personally I’m just chuffed to hear her sweet voice say “twats”. Hilarious.

Angus & Jane Stone’s new album Down By The Way is out in Australian on March 12 and later overseas. I’ve heard a preview copy and trust me, it’s just as beautiful as A Book Like This and in many ways more superior. But hey, I might just be biased because she was awesome and chatted about movies with me. Meh.